Swimming Lessons for all
Based on the ASA award scheme, our Swim School programme is taught by experienced instructors who provide high standards of tuition in water confidence, technique and aquatic skills.
The Programme offers continuous assessment which allows pupils to progress through the various stages at their own pace. With more contact time between pupils and instructors, pupils progress at a steadier rate and can fulfil their potential more quickly.
Progress and skills development are recorded during each lesson ensuring the pupil's ability is continually monitored. When a swimmer meets the criteria of their current class, a place in the next stage will be offered, subject to availability. This progression can take place at any time during the year.
To enable pupils to gain maximum benefit from continuous development, our lessons run for 45 weeks of the year - providing a two week and five week break during Christmas and in the summer holidays respectively. This excludes Adult & Child classes which run term time only.
To apply for a course please complete our online Swim School Course Enquiry Form or call Larkfield Leisure Centre on 01622 719345 | Tonbridge Swimming Pool on 01732 367449. Please also check out our Child Admission Policy.
Summer Intensive Courses
We have a number of 5 Day Intensive Swimming Courses running at Larkfield Leisure Centre and Tonbridge Swimming Pool from Monday 24 July. Courses include Stage 1, Stage 2 and Learn 2 Swim 7 Years+. Take a look at the 2017 Intensive Swimming Programme here. Across our four leisure facilities we are also running a number of Day camps, Drop Ins, Sports Coaching sessions and more. Take a look at the full 2017 Holiday Club Programme here.
Adult & Child Programme
Designed for developing early years water confidence, these adult-accompanied classes are an introduction to the swimming world. The emphasis is upon development of basic skills, and an introduction to water and the swimming environment through fun and games.
These 20 minute classes take place in the Teaching Pool and work towards the ASA Duckling Awards (term time only).
- Adult & Child 1 (4-12 Months): Build water confidence for both adult and baby through the use of toys and nursery rhymes.
- Adult & Child 2 (1-2 years): Working on basic water skills and independent travel with the use of aids introduced through structured play.
- Adult & Child 3 (2 years+): Developing independence and group confidence in preparation for instruction without an adult/carer.
To apply for a course please complete our online Swim School Course Enquiry Form.
Junior Swimming Lessons
Swimmers develop the core range of skills required to be confident, competent and safe in the water. These classes do not require an adult to accompany the swimmer.
- Stage 1 - Pre School 1 (3 years+): Developing basic safety awareness, basic movement and water confidence, as well as working on water skills. Pupils must have attended Adult & Child lessons.
- Stage 1 (4 years+): Aiming to travel 5m with aids on front and back with confidence. Introducing water safety, submersion and floating.
- Stage 2 - Pre School 2 (3 years+): Introducing safe entries, jumping in and rotation. Working towards travelling 5m without the use of aids.
- Stage 2 (4 years+): Working on rotation, push and glides, travelling 5m with arms without the use of aids. Introducing the larger pool.
- Stage 3: Working towards 10m front crawl and backstroke, developing breaststroke. As well as working on skills such as treading water and rotation.
- Stage 4: Introduction of sculling, complete rotation as well as deep water skills. Aiming towards 15m front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke.
- Stage 5: Developing all strokes to ASA standard over a 10m distance. Introducing lifesaving skills, as well as working towards 25m award.
- Stage 6: Achieving Competent to Swim test, increasing distance and stamina within swimming, as well as developing water survival skills.
- Stage 7: Working towards maintaining all strokes to ASA standard over 25m. Developing skills to move into competitive swimming or Rookie Club.
To apply for a course please complete our online enquiry form.
Group or Premium Lesson Options
Our standard group lessons comply with ASA recommended ratios. However, those looking for more intensive teaching can opt for Premium Lessons which offer a 1 to 4 teacher to pupil ratio - available for Stages 3 and 4.
Pre-Squad & Rookie (hour long class)
Once you develop the core range of skills, you have the choice to take part in different aquatic disciplines including Pre-squad and Rookie Club.
Pre-Squad at Larkfield Leisure Centre
Working on Stages 8-10, focusing on maintaining ASA standard strokes over greater distances, using starts and turns correctly. Introduction to the club environment.
Provides a fun and safe way to learn lifesaving skills and water safety. A natural progression from formal lessons, swimmers progress from Bronze to Gold levels.
The scheme can be started at any level and there are no formal assessments - each activity is simply signed off by the trainer when successfully completed. A range of bolt on activities are being developed to add more fun and diversity to the scheme.
To apply for a course please complete our course enquiry form.
Are you a non-swimmer who would love to be able to swim? Do you swim but would like to gain deep water confidence, improve your stroke or increase your stamina? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then why don't you consider signing up to our adult swimming lessons. Our Swim School offers small friendly group lessons for adults of all swimming abilities.
Beginners (Leisure Pool)
- Designed for non-swimmers to increase water confidence and develop basic stroke technique.
- Beginners Level 1: Introduces participants to swimming on their front and back and to basic water skills. For non-swimmers, those not confident in the water or to swimming with their face in the water.
- Beginners Level 2: Develops swimming strokes and introduces further water skills, gradually introducing deep water swimming and skills such as treading water. For those able to swim 5 to 10 metres on front and back.
Improvers (Fitness Pool)
For adults who can swim but wish to develop stroke technique and water skills.
- Improvers Level 1: Emphasis is on stroke improvement and gaining deep water confidence. Participants must be able to swim 10 metres on front and back.
- Improvers Level 2: Emphasis is on consolidating stroke technique and building stamina. Participants must be deep water confident and able to swim 25 metres frontcrawl and backcrawl.
To apply for a course please complete our course enquiry form.
One to One at Tonbridge Swimming Pool
Private swimming tuition provides individual attention and a faster learning rate for both adults and children alike. Flexible times are available to suit your needs and to bridge the gap between ASA stages. Great for adult learning and stroke improvement.
Early booking is advised as sessions are very popular. Call Tonbridge Swimming Pool on 01732 367449 to find out about availability.
Home Portal for Swim School Customers
Check your child's progress
Your Swim School lessons can be managed online using Home Portal. With one simple login you can manage one or more lesson on your PC or smart phone. Our teachers log monthly pupil progress electronically during lessons, this information can then be viewed on Home Portal.
Another great benefit of Home Portal is that when your child is ready to move up to the next level, you will receive an email alert. You can then log on, check class availability and move them to the next level at a time/day that suits you. Those paying in 15 week blocks can also view how many lessons they have remaining before they need to renew.